Wednesday, March 27, 2024

How close are you with your parents?

 

By: Madelyn Cooper  


    My parents are like my best friends in a way, no seriously. But if someone would have told me that ten years ago, I would have laughed in there face. My parents and I needless to say have not always had the best relationship. My mother and I would argue constantly when I was in middle school. There would even be days were we would hardly even speak three words to each other. Now I even have certain people in my life who are jealous of my Mom and I's relationship.        

    Now almost ten years later, in college I call my Mother every day. I honestly don't know what I would do without her or my Dad. I call my mom when I need outfit advice, someone to cry to for anything really.      

    I often remember saying the hurtful things I would say to my mother and father growing up, and I regret that more than anything now. I only now realize that my parents just wanted what was best for me. However growing up, my father and I were much closer than my mother and I were. Growing up I was much closer with my dad than my mom, people would always joke with me and tell me I'm a daddy's girl which honestly, its still true. Some of my fondest memories growing up were spent with my dad, from riding bikes together to going to UNC basketball games together.   

   My mom and dad are some of the kindest, most genuine people I have ever met. And I know it sounds cliche but yes they really are like my best friends. I know they would give the shirt off there back for someone if they needed it. 

    My parents are only getting older and older and I can see it every time I come home from school.  But I know its just a matter of life watching your parents get older.  

    My parents living close enough by to my university to be able to visit on the weekends makes me so happy, they have truly helped me grow so much as a person. Without my parents influence I would not be the person I am today. This all goes back to High School when I was going through one of the hardest periods of my life. Struggling with an Eating Disorder (ED), was not something I ever thought I would have to go through. However, my parents were there to help and support me. If it wasn't for my parents, I'm not quite sure I would still be here today. I personally think me struggling with an ED during my teens years is what brought us so much closer together.

    Overall, I am incredibly lucky to have supportive and loving parents in life. They are truly the light in my life. I am excited to take a new path in my life once I graduate college, but I will always remember my background and how my parents have influenced me to this day.                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Point University's newest fine dining experience: Kazoku

  By: Madelyn Cooper  Q News      Kazoku Hibachi is High Point University's newest fine dining option, that is located inside the newest...